BRIDGET R. BRANDON
- 1990 – Present Have been active and have shown in hunters, jumpers, dressage and breed classes showing as an amateur up to the A/O level at AA rated shows. Have owned horses shown by professionals in hunters, jumpers and dressage from in-hand, baby-green, training levels to the upper levels of the sport. Manage all aspects of the purchase, sales, training, development and care of these horses. Horses have shown at Kentucky Horse Park, Georbia International Horse Park, Devon, Washington International, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Thermal, Georgetown, Brownland Farm, Gulfport, to name a few. Buy or breed investment horses for the hunter, jumper, dressage and eventing disciplines for the AA market.
- 1995 – Present Breed Warmblood Sport Horses for the hunter/jumper, dressage and combined training market. Manage the breeding, care of broodmares and delivery of foals. Manage the care, development and training of foals. Prepare and present offspring for inspection and approval to breed registries. Have shown offspring on line at dressage and hunter breed shows. Foals I’ve bred have been sold as prospective show horses to hunter/jumper, dressage and eventing professionals and amateurs.
- 2011 – 2014 Assisted Tom McCutcheon Reining horses in developing their VirtualHorseHelp.com business. Planned, developed, produced and marketed their equine business through public relations, social media and e-commerce. Purpose of the site was to promote Tom McCutcheon in the reining industry as well as promote his training, breeding and rehab facility.
- 1992 – 2007 Owned a farm where I boarded pleasure horses, retired show horses, lay-ups and broodmares with full care, custody and control. Facility contained barn, turnout pastures, lighted arena and close proximity to the Cross Timbers Trails of Denton County.
- 1998 – 2003 Hosted several Warmblood breeding inspections at my farm for the German Oldenburg Verband and for the Rheinland-Pfalz-Saar Verband.
- 2001 – Present American Society of Equine Appraisers, Certified Appraiser #03121
- 2001 Certified, 2010 Senior Certified
- USPAP Certified 2010 (Uniform Standards of Professional Appraiser Practices)
- Advanced Principles of Valuation Course presented by the American Society of Equine Appraisers. Area of Specialty Test required by the American Qualifications Board (AQB) for Personal Property Appraisers.
- Served as an expert on numerous cases for both the plaintiff and defendant. Have worked with a variety of law firms across the country and have performed appraisals and served as an expert for a variety of insurance companies, including Zurich Insurance.
- 2001 – Present Owner of ValueMyHorse LLC: Equine appraiser, legal consultant and equine educator, and expert witness specializing in Sport Horses and Performance Horses for showing and breeding. I provide appraisal services for donations, insurance valuations, divorces, syndications, bank collateral, estates and sales. I also provide expertise in the horse industry from care, custody and control, breeding, showing, safety, and general practices. I have served as an appraiser since 2001, and have expanded my practice to expert witness and consulting and equine education on standards in the industry primarily since 2010. I have testimony experience in a bench trial and was qualified as an expert in Sporthorses in Maryland, but the majority of cases have not gone to trial and have used my appraisals and opinion summaries in mediation to a successful resolution.
Examples of legal case experience:
- Appraised a Grand Prix prospect for a syndication group that purchased a horse for a former Olympic rider (plaintiff)
- Appraised show jumper in a lawsuit concerning misrepresentation of age (plaintiff)
- Consulted on malpractice law suit concerning behavior of breeding stock, value of deceased dressage and breeding stallion and loss of income from stud fees and sale of offspring (defendant)
- Served as an expert in a divorce case concerning costs of horses, appropriate type horse to purchase for child, equine behavior, training, showing, boarding and care, equipment and appropriate show locations for horses and child to advance riding career (defendant)
- Appraised dressage horse injured while in care of veterinarian (defendant)
- Appraised cutting horse injured in trailer accident (defendant)
- Appraised a deceased western pleasure show horse who was electrified (defendant)
- Appraised a reining horse for a bank regarding a defaulted loan (plaintiff)
- Appraised a jumper who died as a result of injuries obtained while in her stall and consulted with the attorney as to the behavior of horses in their stalls (defendant)
- Appraised a dressage horse who died while in the care of a veterinarian. (defendant)
- Appraised two quarter horse ranch/mountain trail horses and pony that were shot and killed (defendant)
- Appraised two horses confiscated by SPCA and opined on their care and condition (defendant)
- Served as an expert witness concerning an imported Grand Prix prospect, that was in a trailer accident and eventually was euthanized due to injuries sustained in the accident. Opined on the value of the horse, standards in care, custody and control and the upper level show jumping industry as a whole. (defendant)
- Appraised an imported jumper for a case involving fraud and opined on the value of the horse before colic surgery and after, and on the sales process in the industry. The case was to be heard in a Federal Court, but settled in mediation with the assistance of my opinion summary. (plaintiff)
- Appraised four Friesians killed when a tractor-trailer rig ran into the horse trailer. (Ins. Settlement)
- Appraised imported Hanoverian gelding initially trained to 2nd level dressage by Olympic rider for amateur owner who later sent horse to hunter/broker to be sold as a hunter. Opined on value of horse and Standards in Industry for show, sales and training barns. (plaintiff)
- Appraised Training Level Event horse for veterinarian mal-practice suit concerning value of the horse and standards in the industry on pre-purchase examinations. (defendant)
- Assisted on numerous occasions to research and recommend expert witnesses for a variety of equine lawsuits
Membership, Education, Board & Publication
- 2007 – Present, P & C Insurance License in Texas, sell equine insurance
- 2011 thru 2017 University of Kentucky Conference on Equine Law
- Member USEF, USDF, USEA, THJA, AQHA, German Oldenburg Verband
Past Board Member North Texas Hunter/Jumper Association
1989 – 2001 Member of Willow Bend Polo and Hunt Club
2005 USEF Judges Clinic, Wellington, FL
2007 Steward Clinic, Lexington, KY
Judge 2-4 local hunter/jumper shows a year
- 2011 Served on Advisory Board for Tom McCutcheon Reining Horses (Double Gold Medal winner of 2010 World Equestrian Games in Reining, 2010 USEF Horseman of the Year and 2011 Gold Medal winner World Reining Finals in Sweden)
- Graduate Southern Methodist University 1984, BFA
Chronicle of Horse: Vol. LXX, NO. 3, page 20, Sinners Prayer
The Plaid Horse: Cover April 2006, Vol 3 Issue II, also page 36, Sinners Prayer
Lone Star Horse Report Vol. 25, Number 5, May 2007 Cover, Journey, foal bred by Bridget
Lone Star Horse Report Vol. 26, Number 6, June 2008, page 14, Interview of Bridget
Cover Texas Hoofbeat, April 2005, Kiss This, foal bred by Bridget